Amy's Beat

Amy's Beat
I groove to the beat of my own drums!

Friday, July 20, 2007

the Gap

Does anyone like to go to the doctor? I mean, really like to go to the doctor? Me neither! I was sick this past week.......well for about a week, before I finally decided that the sickness won, and I went to the doctor. I found out that I had a sinus infection, and my ear drum was retracted........fancy talk just to say that my ear drum had so much pressure on it that it was pushing in, and that was why it was hurting so much. Now, after some meds, I am recovering from my illness however it might take a bit longer to recover from the bill!! I could not believe that a (very short) doctor's visit, and two prescriptions.......with insurance........cost me $83! I was amazed..........most of the amount being the meds. I got a total of 40 pills (two different kinds) and they each cost over a dollar per pill! Is that crazy or what??!!

Now, I do have insurance, and on my bill it said that my insurance saved me $80! I really feel for those who don't have insurance because they cannot afford it.

I was talking to my dad the other night, and he said that he heard about a lady who worked for an insurance company, and she actually admitted that the more claims she turns down..........the more money she makes! What is up with that??

This country is such a great country, a country of excess.........and it is so sad to see the rich get richer by the day, and the rest struggle.......and I am talking about me and most of the folks who probably read this blog. I mean, we are not wanting for necessities, but it is really crazy the costs that we have to pay for something like health care. I wish our country could get into some kind of program like other countries where health care is free........but then all those doctors out there might not be able to afford their castles and fancy cars...........

OK.......I just had to get that out. It is getting frustrating these days seeing that gap between the "normal" person and those with wealth grow and grow.......

Can I get any kudos??!!

4 comments:

Rebecca Jo said...

Oh - dont get me started! My parents haven't had insurance in 3 years - & he is a cancer survivor (hence why they cant get insurance) - & I'm loosing my insurance after being with my work for 15 years - they're dropping it because its too expensive! I could really get on a soap box on this topic! It's just all heartbreaking!

Hope you're feeling better though!

Courtney said...

as Jeremy said at Thrive on Sunday. It would cost around 20 Billion to provide the whole world with basic healthcare. The amount we American's spend on ice cream each year. How upside down is that????

Also, I'm a blogger now too. check it out!

Anonymous said...

You want to know what I find strange...If you ever look at the statement you get from the insurance company...there is the price the dr. or hospital charges...then there is the amount that has been "discounted" and then there is the amount that the insurance covers. If you don't have insurance you don't get the "discount" unless you can pay your bill in full. I know everytime one of my kiddos has immunizations the shots alone are $300 which insurance picks up but the health dept offers them for free or extremely cheap. Sorry I rambled...but it's crazy!!

Chandra

Jeremy said...

preach on sister!!!