Amy's Beat

Amy's Beat
I groove to the beat of my own drums!

Monday, September 8, 2008

Guatemala, my second home.

Matthew 25:34-40


34"Then the King will say to those on his right, 'Come, you who are blessed by my Father; take your inheritance, the kingdom prepared for you since the creation of the world. 35For I was hungry and you gave me something to eat, I was thirsty and you gave me something to drink, I was a stranger and you invited me in, 36I needed clothes and you clothed me, I was sick and you looked after me, I was in prison and you came to visit me.'
37"Then the righteous will answer him, 'Lord, when did we see you hungry and feed you, or thirsty and give you something to drink? 38When did we see you a stranger and invite you in, or needing clothes and clothe you? 39When did we see you sick or in prison and go to visit you?'
40"The King will reply, 'I tell you the truth, whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers of mine, you did for me.'

These are the verses that encouraged me to make this trip that I just got home from. Last January, I had the opportunity to go to Guatemala where I met up with a group of people from Michigan. We went to several places in Guatemala, helping with orphans, giving to those who were in need, etc. I saw some places and people who I was really drawn to. From the time I left, I knew that I wanted to go back as soon as God made a way for me to get there. Well, He made a way sooner than I expected, and I went. I took 5 bags, each weighing 50 pounds, mostly of things to give away. I had mostly clothing, but I also had some toys, cross necklaces, and a few Bibles. I really had no idea what all I would do down there, but I knew one thing, I wanted to show the love of God to these people. The area that I went to for most of the time was the ghetto...La Limonada. This where my friend Ashley lives, and I stayed with her for the week. We went to the market as soon as I got there and bought up a bunch of groceries. That first night I was there, we had two families come in to her house at different times, and we fed them dinner. The first dinner we had to do something fast so we did hotdogs and chips and the second dinner we did baked chicken, corn on the cob, and baked potatoes. This set the stage for the week. Each day, we had one or more families in, fed them a complete dinner, and then gave them clothing, toys, etc. These people are very poor and when they do get meals they typically only have one or two things on their place, and rarely do they have meat. We made sure to give them meat as part of each meal. Most importantly, we showed them that we cared like Jesus cares for us! This week was such a huge blessing for me! I wanted to actually go in there, live with these people for the week, and show them the love of God, and that is exactly what I got to do! They could not believe that I would come there and spend the week, and actually sleep there in the ghetto with them! They see Americans come in there with different mision groups, but no one ever spends an extended time there, and especially not spending the night, actually living down there with them. Now, Ashley is an American, and she does live down there, and she has developed a ton of respect from them for all of the great things she does there. She has lived in Guatemala for over two years, and just recently moved into the ghetto...but for an American to come down there for the week, and stay there instead of in a nice hotel somewhere.............that was amazing to them. I know that meant a lot to them, and that was a blessing for me to hear the great things they were saying about me. Of course I did not go there to impress them in any way.......I went to serve them, but it was a blessing to me to hear how much they loved me being there and staying in their neighborhood in the ghetto. I love to help people, I love to give to others, I love to show love.............and I got to do that, all week.

I know I am kind of rambling, but this is the best way for me to talk about what all I did this past week. I love the people of Guatemala........specifically in La Limonada! They are so happy. Some have more than others there, but none of them have much. Ashley and I were inviting the families into her home and feeding them and clothing them, but we were also invited into their homes! We were invited for breakfast in one ladies's home, and then for lunch two different days in other people's homes. So.......here I am, down there to give to them and bless them, and they are blessing me by inviting me to come to their homes and eating their food. How cool is that. They are so loving. Also, this gave me more insight to these familes and their homes. I was in several homes. None of them are big, and some are only one room, maybe around 10 feet by 10 feet. Some have no beds, and sleep on the ground, which may be concrete, may be dirt, or when it rains, may be mud. Some have a bed or two, and the whole family sleep in one bed or two beds. I have a picture below of 4 in a bed at one home. Some homes are concrete block, but many are just sheet metal, and are very dangerous to be in when the bullets fly..........which they do regularly. I heard them...day and night. The home that I was in is all concrete on the walls and floors and sheet metal on the roof.

I spent a lot of time with the teenagers....mostly teenage guys....hmm, not much different than my life at home, huh? The teens liked to hang out with us at Ashley's house, and whenever Ashley and I went into the market, different ones of them went with us. I got to take many of them out to McDonalds, which was a huge treat for them. It was fun. On Saturday, there was a Guatemala futball game, (soccer), so we made pizza, and had chips and soda, and several of the teenagers came over and watched the game.

On Friday, we took three huge baskets of bread to the city dump, where many live. It was fun going there and blessing them by taking care of one of the most basic needs. Again, they were very happy and very thankful. It was a huge blessing to me to see them happy and to know that I was able to help them out.

I have so much more that I can tell but I prefer to talk about it than to write, but I wanted to share some of my experiences on here and share some pictures. If anyone wants to hear more and see the rest of the pictures and see the video, just let me know. I'd love to have you over to my house and share with you.

Thanks so much to all of you who donated clothing and other things, as well as those who donated cash. La Limonada was greatly blessed this past week.........oh and since I was able to live there among them for the week, I really got the opportunity to build relationships, and know the people and as the week went by, as I was walking around, I would see adults and kids and they were wearing the clothing that I gave them! It was so neat..............I loved seeing them using what I brought them...........what you all donated.

Enjoy the pictures below, and please, if you want to see more and hear more, email or call me and we will set up a time to get together in my home and I will share. I would love to share............



Ashley in her home.

Me in Ashley's home, getting ready for the futbol game with the teenagers.


We always went out into the streets to give away the extra food from when we had people in to eat. Here the young boys enjoyed the pizza.
Douglas and Oscar.....to wonderful, sweet teenagers I spent a lot of time with .
My new young friend, Jasmine.
Jasmine's home. She lives here with her mom, dad, brother and sister.
This is spike. He is the pet of one of the teenagers, Winston. He brought him over for me to see him. I love reptiles, so that was cool.
Some of the guys....Carlos, Winston, not sure of his name, and Hector (from left to right) La Limonada

The steps to get up out of La Limonada into Zone 1 of the city. Lots of steps!!
This was late at night, in the street. Kids were just running around playing all over the place. They were having fun......and loved getting their pictures taken.
This is the grandma of some of the new friends I made. And yes, she is standing up. Mike asked me that question. Many of the people who live in Guatemala are little, especially the older generations.
The babies are so adorable with their big brown eyes!!


Anderson and Raual...i am not sure how to spell his name........and Ashley, if I get any names wrong, feel free to email me and let me know!
Wilson.........the older lady above is his grandma.
Three gangsters and a baby.........this home has two ladies, who have 10 kids between them, and since one of them is the girlfriend of one of the gangsters, this is where most of the gangsters hang out.
A family that we hosted.




Joshua...I wanted to put him in my suitcase and bring him home with me!! He is so adorable. If something does not change, he will become a gangster because he already runs the streets day and night.
Claver looking out his door at us.........he is a special needs boy. He cannot say more than two words, he also runs the streets, but is such a happy boy.
I think this is Manchas. He is 14, already associated with the gang of the neighborhood. Here he is showing the gun that they pass around among them. The first day I was there they were shooting a lot. They just shoot into the air...just goofing around...but not being very smart. They just dont see the wrong in it. However, they did lay off the shooting for the rest of the week. I really think that they were being respectful of me being there...because usually they shoot a lot. You hear gun shots in La Limonada a lot, day and night. Most of the time it is just shooting into the air, but sometimes it is a shoot out between gangs.
Look at those beautiful brown eyes. She is eating a candy apple.
I did not catch their names, but this is two ladies standing in the door of their home.
Elmer, Dervin, and me at the city dump with the bread. Both of these guys are gangsters. Hopefully seeing the examples of Ashley, myself and others who come down there who are Christians, hopefully they will change their ways. Elmer did clean up and get off the streets and come to God a while back. but some things drove him away from the church. I asked him when he would come back to church, and he said that he does miss it, and wants to come back. I have been praying for him ever since Ashley told me a few months back that he had left the church. Elmer is one of the guys who I got to meet last January when I was in Guatemala.
Joshua again..........
A man getting bread in the dump.
I don't know his name but his dad is Pewee, who has become a Christian.
I realize that I have this picture in here twice but I can't figure out how to delete it and dont want to risk deleting the wrong pictures................so enjoy it again.
Check out the shoes!
This is one of the pastors in Ashley's church and his wife. They were such wonderful, sweet, and sincere folks. Guillermo and Chepa. We had them and their family, three daughters, in for dinner and they had us in for lunch my first full day there.

This is the home where there are many gangsters living, with the two ladies and their 10 kids. We knocked on the door and this little guy answered. It was so funny. Check out his shoes.
One day we went to the central market for me to buy some typical Guatamala stuff to bring home. It is not safe for Ashley and me to go there alone. These guys went with us one of the days. I said they were all my bodyguards! I took them to McDonalds, which is a treat for them because they don't get to do stuff like that hardly at all. I spent a lot of time with these guys. They were great! I loved them and miss them.
Another family that we had in for dinner and clothing.
Kids on the street, wearing clothing that I gave them.
More pics of the guys...Douglas, and Oscar. I don't know the younger guy in the back.

Douglas and Carlos being goofy.
Claver again. He likes to hang outside Ashley's house all the time.





this and the pictures above are all from the house where the gangsters hang out. At least three in the picture are gangsters. We had all of these two familes in for dinner and clothing.
one day we made pies....Douglas helped.

More views of La Limonada.

Another family in Ashley's house.


This is Black. He is one of the gangsers who hangs outside of Ashley's house. He is such a nice kid, and it is so sad that he is messed up and a gangster. I can only hope for him and the other guys that maybe I had a bit of an influence on them to help them realize there is more to life than being in a gang, doing drugs, and comitting crimes. I loved on, gave to, and developed relationships with these guys as much as the others, because it is them even more who need the good influences, hoping that one day they will realize the love of God and turn to him.

One of Guillermo and Chepa's daughters. Isn't she just adorable!


Elmer and Coche...again, gangsters.

I think this is another of the preacher's daughters............
Ashley and ....I cannot remember her name............oops.
Wilson, his sister Yajaira, and Ashley.
Another family we fed and clothed.
Ashley's home, ready to invite in a family for dinner.
Ashley's home....the kitchen.
This was the first family we had in for dinner and clothing. This is a young, Christian family. They are very very poor. They live in a small one room home, and have no bed. Their home is made of sheet metal pieces, and they have a dirt floor. They sleep on the floor and when it rains the water comes in under the sheet metal and they are sleeping in the mud. One of my new missions is to send money to Ashley, hopefully soon, to buy this family a bed or two. Unfortunately, there are many families like this in La Limonada. If anyone in interested in giving to buy beds for families like this, let me know. It is just under a hundred dollars to buy a bed. Ashley has a mission fund in the States and my plan will be to send money to her mom to put into that fun and have her use it for buying a bed or two for this family and if I get enough money for other familes like this one. She will also send pictures of them and the bed or beds once she gets them so you can see exactly where your money went to.............so if you are interested, please please let me know.
A mom and daughter who came for dinner and Black who also came in to eat with us that evening.
Manchas...a young gangster. He is 14, sniffs glue and hangs in the streets. Hopefully someday he can realzie the love of God and realize that the things he is trying to fill his life with are not what is going to fulfill him. I have been and will continue to pray for him and the other gangsters that they will realize the holes in their lives that they try to fill with violence, guns, drugs, etc, can only be filled by God!!




This is the end of the pictures that I have posted, but again if you want to hear and see more, just let me know.............









7 comments:

Anonymous said...

It makes my heart want to burst seeing you do the work laid before you and the way it makes you glow talking about it. I only hope that next summer I can go with you so I can share in the work and hopefully make a difference like you do. You are my hero :)

Rebecca Jo said...

Amy - that is amazing! Isn't it nuts how you just feel so blessed by blessing others! God is so cool like that! The pictures are awesome!

Christy said...

You rock, girl! I'm so proud of you and inspired by you. Those kids were blessed to have you love on them for a week!

Junior Waterbury said...

Wow! What a great honor to be chosen to mirror Jesus to these people as you obviously did. Thank you for doing God's work here on earth!

Chad Doerr said...

You have such a heart for missions. Thanks for sharing the pics. They were great! So when are you returning?

Amy said...

I have had several nice comments on this blog, but some of them came straight to me through emails. I wanted to share them on here.

Angelique said:
Welcome Home Amy!!! I hope all went well looking fwd to hearing all about it, hope you felt all the prayers.

David said:
You go Girl......... You truly are an angel.
I really can't say enough how impressed I am with your efforts towards
these people in Guatemala. It seems like such a small gesture and a lot of
people would have the "I'm only one person and can't change anything for
these people" attitude. I'm sure that the people you are able to help are
very grateful.

Cookie said:
Wow Amy it sounds like you had quite a time in Guatemala! We did to I am sure Ashley told you all about it. I may go in January again but I really don"t have the money so only time will tell.

Kent said:
Thanks for sharing!!! It takes special people to do what you are doing and I am sure you are impacting a lot of lives in a very positive Christ filled way in Guatemala.

Teresa said:
Amy, thanks for sending us the link to the pictures and the info about your trip. What a blessing your friend Ashley is to this community. So glad you’ve been able to go and bring your big heart and God’s love to La Limonada. I’ve been praying for your missions to Guatemala since Denise told me you were going again. I hope you are able to return often. Sounds like you are needed. Those pictures are priceless!

Angie said:
I looked and at all of the pictures and read most of the stories and there just isn’t any words that can be said to express the emotions that they make you feel. How it must break Gods Heart to see His children suffering like that. I’m glad He gave you the opportunity to go share His love with them. Hopefully some of them will come to know Him as their Father from a seed that was planted by you or from one of the Bibles you shared with them.

Rita said:
great trip Amy. I am thrilled God made the way for you. your heart is shared with another country.

Janet said:
Looks like you had a great time..


And to answer Chad's question on when I am returning to Guatemala........as soon as I possibly can!! I pray that God provides a way for me to get back there soon and to take Mike with me this time.

Anonymous said...

What an awesome trip! I'm so proud of what you were able to do for all those people. I'm glad that you have such a big heart for those people, and I pray God bless you and them with many more trips like this.